Monday, August 9, 2010

Second to someone, err?

In Philippine cinema, there was a movie that became popular because of the line, "You're nothing but a second-rate, trying hard copycat!". The movie is entitled "Bituing Walang Ningning" ("A Star Without Fame").

When I was still in my primary and secondary education, I did want to be always on TOP 10 of the class. I can remember that when I was in Grade 3, I was only Top3. But I managed to graduate as class valedictorian during my 6th grade. I was able to enter in a "Science High School".

Then in High School, of course, what else did I know, studied and aimed for the best. I wasn't doing great during my first 2 years but i eventually pulled myself together and graduated top of my batch.

And in college, in everything I did, I wanted it to be the best... but i guess my best wasn't good enough.

At any rate, I was a person who wanted nothing else but to be the best in what I did. I wanted that when somebody thinks of a certain field/aspect, he/she can say,'oh, norman is the go-to guy for that'.

Yep.. I managed to be able to be a go-to person for extracurricular activities in some of my organizations.

But nowadays, I don't think I would want to put the same pressure on me neither someone putting pressure on me. No. I don't want it now. I know the feeling. So I would understand if someone keeps comparing you on others.

It bullshit men. Its different when you were little. It is different when the only problem you are having is how to pass a subject or how to get extra allowance from your parents to be able to go see a movie with friends or with boy/girl friend.... It is different now when you are old and earning for a living.

Of course, I'm not saying not to do your best when you grow old, I'm just saying it is not a good idea to compare yourself with another person... or compare one person to another.

First, when you are in mid-20s and above, it would not be helpful for you if you get stressed. It is not good for your health. You'll just keep worrying and worrying. Hey, that is why we have our school days. You should have worried enough when you were young. And when you grow up, free yourself with worries. Enjoy your life.

Secondly, it wouldn't be healthy for your relationship with other people. You will just keep on comparing yourself. Sooner or later, it would not be a "healthy competion" but a game of envy and greediness.

I don't wanna be 2nd to someone.... but being the best now is not my priority... coz right now, i've got better things to do than mere competition.




Let's call it a day!


No comments: